Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Project Review: 3D Illustration and 3D Logos for ALEXANDER[2004] PART II

A Rusty metal texture with a bit of galvanized feel to the tin like section. Very low bump and low shine in this shader I experimented with.

A Pumice like warm rock with deep pits as well as high density.

 A brushed gold metal texture with some warm red rust corrosion added to the shader. I modified the rusty paint shader that ships with Dark Tree for this pass.

A Double plate stacked 3D Logo design with a dry cracked mud feel to the dump in this version.

 Warm to Cool lighting along with a micro texture with very fine details. the pumice had blue added to the flat spots in this shader.

This double stack uses a caustic map to create the wave like cracks in this Procedural Texture pass for the Poster work for the film, Alexander.

A single stack design with the same texture from above devreaes by 90% in this alternate 3D Logo. I also added warm red lower lighting.

A Cracked warm rock with vein-web used for the displacement on the font in this 3D Logo pass.

A sincle stack 3D Logo with heavy pits. I modified a sponge shader I had to develop this one.

A rusted steel with all rust, no shine left[ see first one up top] and ball like pits overall.

 A final texture pass with the pits reversed to be like warts on the rock surface.


Project Review
3D Illustration and 3D Logos for
ALEXANDER[2004]
PART II


Client:Warner Brothers Pictures via The Cimarron Group.
Art Director: Calvin Sumler.
Project Date: Winter 2004-Spring 2004

Today I have PART II up for the 3D Illustration work I did for the film Alexander back in 2004 while in-house at The Cimarron Group, and today I am covering a round 2 design exercise with rock like textures.

Once we established a few fonts that the client liked I was asked to spend a day and create some natural rock like textures to pick from. I build procedural textures using Dark Tree 2.0, and import the shaders I write into 3DSmax to use with the Simbiont Plug-In.

In this post I used just one design to create a dozen or so looks. Some were single level designs, while a few were stacked with two levels, but all from just the one vector file I was given by Art Director Calvin Sumler.

I did rusty metals, granite, marble, concrete, and a wide variety of stone and pumice like materials for the presentation. A fun exercise right in the middle of the design process. I will have more posts in the future for this project, and you can view PART I here as well.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment