Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Project Review: The Phantom 2040 Part 59

Here is the stack of mini Backgrounds I did on velum shown at scale.


A mini-background design I did for the lower city camera move up-pan.


A wide porch shot for Kit's Aunt Heloise.


A design for the VR Arcade destroyed by B.I.O.T's.


A close up on the front door for the show.
[ You can see a faint mock-in for Kit on there that was added by the board artist for the final]


Here is a Middle City wide mini background storyboard layout I designed.


Phantom 2040-PART LVIV [59th]
Storyboard Background Layouts


Client: Hearst Animation Productions.
Art Director: Myself.
Project Date Spring 1993.

In this 59th post on "The Phantom 2040" television Animation Series I have put up additional mini background layouts to view.

A mini background is a perspective-grid accurate frame with the guide grid visible so the overseas animation teams can properly reproduce the frame correctly. We had issue with our vendor just xeroxing up the boards for layouts and i most storyboards just rough in the backgrounds and provide a key layout to follow, but in TV work they don't do that, they simply scale up your boards and paint.

I always loved doing these mini drawings as they were only based around a 2x3 inch frame so these were smaller than a playing card. I love detailing out a mini sketch, I got used to doing that in English class on the margins of my notebook :o)

I posted other Phantom 2040 mini storyboard backgrounds here.

Cheers, THOM

No comments:

Post a Comment