Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Who is your Advocate at Work?




A great Line Producer once told me "The Fish Stinks from the Head Down", which has shown itself to be a great truth in the business world, especially the way we as artists get treated or should I say, mistreated. This reminds me of how important it is to have an advocate as close to the head of a company as possible.

Having reconnected to a few of my prior employers these last few months, I realize who really "got" what I do as a 3D Conceptual Designer, and who was my advocate helping me do what I do best. Those that have been great advocates of what I do are the best thing to being successful for both parties, and those who both do not understand 3D, and don't back you up are the worst for all involved.

Having friends in high places is something everyone wants in business, yet as artists who tend for the most part to be worker bees, they need this advocate more then some know. Someone with a say in the way things are run[ empowered]and having power is the class of person that must be your advocate. You want to go as high as you can in the structure to get as close to the true "head" of a company. Sometimes it is the owner, and sometimes it is a Producer or Creative Director, but no matter who it is they must be someone who can argue on your behalf.

And a word of caution: If your advocate is a devil, their bad reputation will get passed along with you, so pick carefully. Whomever you do pick, make sure to thank them for backing you up, and let them know what they really are doing for you.

Cheers, THOM

P.S. A great film if you have not seen it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment